Sunday, June 29, 2008

Life in Pictures-Part Two, Learning to Fly

And so the day arrived when another one of my angels took a leap out of the nest.
Tentatively, at first but with a look of pride and amusement all wrapped into one.  "How did I get here, Momma?"
And then came the recognition.  "There you are, Mom and Dad!  Thank goodness I understand that no matter where I go, I can always look up and know that you are there."
And then, out of the hundreds of people who were graduating that day, our little angel smiled.  Not a shy or hesitant smile, but the smile that can break our hearts and I was struck with the realization that she has grown confident enough to use her wings.
And once again, her enthusiasm for life exploded into pure joy.  
All the while looking up into the stands to make sure that she could still see her dad and I.  "Can you guys believe that I have made it this far?"
Yes, honey, we can.  And we always knew, even during the tryingest of times, that you would make it to this day and well beyond.  Now be sure to keep those sunglasses because, as the saying goes, Your future's so bright that you've got to wear shades!

Fly, baby, fly...

12 comments:

joanne said...

I can't remember how I got to your site but i've been lurking for a little while. I wanted to let you know how much i've enjoyed your photography...and your writing is lovely...as are your beautiful children. Nice to "meet" you.

jj

Debra said...

So glad that you stopped by, jj! I love hearing from my readers, especially my delurkers! Thanks for your lovely comments and very kind words!

Nice to meet you, too, jj! Please say hello again!

Hugs,
Deb

Bogart said...

Congrats...that is so cool!!!

kim-d said...

Hi Deb, I've missed commenting to you! I've been by to see what you're up to, but just didn't take the time to comment; you know how life sometimes gets in the way :)!

Congratulations to AD Graduate! I, of course, especially love the one with her hands reaching skyward. Ahhh! To be young and beautiful and to have an incredibly bright future ahead of you...I am so happy for your girl.

Have a great week, Deb; love and gentle hugs!

Ness said...

Congratulations to your AD and her supportive family. She learned to fly from the best!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

WOO HOOO CONGRATULATIONS AD!!!! love the pics!
hugs Laura

Alison said...

I love this post Deb...so poignant and the pictures capture it so well!!!

Jenn-n-n said...

Reading your words describing sending your AD's out into the world, and letting go just enough to let them grow yet always remaining within their reach...touchs my soul. Your words help me in letting my own grow and spread their wings. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

You brought back memories of my first daughter getting ready to fly in 2006. As always, your pictures are exquisite, love the prom pics at the beach!! Hope you are enjoying the glorious coastal summer days!

Catherine Holman said...

It's such a joy and yet a tug on the 'ole heart to see our children leave the nest. Congratulations to your daughter!
Hugs,
Cathie

Irene Latham said...

Hi Deb -- She looks so darn happy! Makes me happy. :) Thanks for your comments on friendship poem.. we have just returned from NYC, so I am catching up! Also, I am THIS CLOSE to finishing Eclipse. We must have a discussion when we've both finished all three (as we eargerly await Breaking Dawn!). Just wanted to say hi... xxoo

Debbie said...

Just came from Hallie's since she mentioned you in her ranting and raving over there :) and I love this post about your daughter! I have one 22 year old son and wish I had blogged back when he graduated. This is an outstanding post! Great job Mom!

Related Posts with Thumbnails