Wednesday, September 28, 2011

May You be Inscribed in The Book of Life 5772




Sometimes, even the cat feels like he can just stick his tongue out at me.  I mean, just like everyone else, he loves and adores me but hey, I am Momma and if he's having a bad day, I guess I should be, too.

When done correctly, I have found that the moniker "Mother" is synonymous with the words safety, security and comfort.  My husband wants to be able to fix things when a problem arises.  He is definitely the strong and silent type in a lot of ways so with five women surrounding him(and sometimes all at once!), he has to take in a lot of excess chit-chat which probably often hurts his brain.  I can sympathize with that because sometimes it even hurts my brain.  But women, not all but many, like to talk things through.  We like to discuss different angles.  We like to explore various solutions.  We enjoy the interaction and oftentimes, that is what it takes for us to arrive at a resolution. Men, not so much.  So here I stand.  Unlike my husband, I know that I cannot really just fix anything and move on.  Long after he is off the topic with one or more of our Angel Daughters, I am still trying to maneuver them into a positive direction that will both make them feel better and produce superlative results.  Neither way is absolutely right or wrong, it just is.  I am not, however, a magician.  A goddess, maybe, but...Well that is not what I am writing about right now so I will just move along.  Just take my word for it, it will make me feel special.  The goddess part, anyway.

I have spent a good portion of today dousing fires and wiping tears from my daughters cheeks.  And a few minutes ago at exactly 6:39 PM, the sun, which never really shone itself down here on the edge of the Pacific ocean today, went down for the last time on the Jewish year of 5771.  For Jews all over the world, another year has just passed and ten days of awe will now be observed.  Rosh Hashanah is the Jewish New Year which begins as a celebration and then culminates after ten days with the observance of Yom Kippur.  Yom Kippur is a somber, serious day because it is a time of self-reflection and atonement.  It is a day when we ask God to forgive our transgressions and to guide us into being better people next year.(simply put)  The time between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur is known as "the days of awe".  These days are used for self-evaluation, reflection and prayer.  On Rosh Hashanah, we ask that God inscribe us into the Book of Life for another year.  On Yom Kippur, it is sealed.  I suppose that the cloudy day today was appropriate for the misty moods which I encountered but during these next ten days, I am going to focus on growth and redemption and healing for all of us and when I say "all of us" I mean myself, my family and all of my wonderful friends, both Jewish and otherwise.  The new year is a time for transition and transformation, much like the season of autumn, so what better time to contemplate the things that we can do better, for others, for ourselves and for the world.  The September mist which blanketed much of the Southern California coast today reminded me that my daughters pains and concerns and fears are very, very real and that it is their father's job to protect them and to try to fix what ails them.  But it is my job, as their momma, to walk them gently but firmly back into the light, allowing them the time and consideration that they might need to get there.  A perfect combination.  A band-aide and a time to allow for healing.

I will write more about these "days of awe" throughout the next ten days and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.  I know this might all seem a bit mystic and confusing to someone who is not Jewish, but trust me, it's really not.  Tomorrow, Mark, myself and our four Angel Daughters will spend part of our day in synagogue celebrating the New Year.  We will pray, we will sing, and we will hear the blast of the shofar as we welcome in the New Year of 5772.  I look forward to this outward expression of gratitude to God before turning inward to evaluate myself.  L'shana tova(which means "for a good year" in Hebrew) to all of my Jewish readers and friends.  To everyone else, I wish you good health, happiness and so much love because we can never receive enough in the way of blessings from those who care about us.

With so much love,
Debbie

5 comments:

Shrinky said...

Happy New year, dearest Debbie! I so relate to this "fixing" thing men have; with any problem in our family my husband immediately looks for the practical solution, although many times that is NOT the answer we need! It's often a much more complex, delicate balancing act, isn't it?

I love the sound of how you enter a fresh year, full of reflection and desire to improve upon the last one spent. We all could benefit from taking stock of who we are and of who we truly want to be.

(And of course you're a Goddess, raising four daughters, that's a given!)

Miss A said...

L'Shanah Tovah Debbie! May you and your family be inscribed in the book and sealed for a great year!

Thank you for thinking of me. Yesterday, at the sun set, I became deliriously happy and my heart is feeling lighter than it's been in a long time.

Today I count my amazing blessings and I focus on all the joy I received, from friends, from family, but also from strangers who are now friends and family.

You are a goddess lady, and an angel, and having you in my life brings me joy. Thank you. Today I will pray for you, for yours, for me, for mine.

I am very happy to have the next several days surrounded by loved ones. My great friend is taking me to a new synagogue that we want to "try out" in our neighborhood. I heard the young Rabbi (29!) is quite a happy handful.

Lots of love, lots of hugs!
Miss A.

Mark said...

Happy New Year!
I took a photo today and I will dedicate it to you next month during my photo dump. So you'll just have to wait.
Your Friend, m.

37paddington said...

Happy new year, you goddess!

I will pray for health and joy and healing for you and your lovely family in the new year, and thank you for this beautiful explanation of a sacred time.

in love and awe,
angella

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

much joy, peace and happiness to you! my love, xoxo!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails