Friday, October 9, 2009

Risking Growth

Recently, I took a forward stroke toward achieving something that is not only important for me, but concerns the lives of many others, as well. Involved in this chapter of my story, is a place that I never desired to go. Unchartered, untraveled territory which will require tenacity, determination, and unadulterated chutzpah, span the distance ahead of me; but I have no choice. I have done all that I could in order to sail the smoothest route, but when the shark continued nipping wildly at my toes, I had to make the decision to do more than just quietly removing my toes from the water. I had to calculate the risks involved in diving into the water along with the shark.

Risk, in itself, often carries with it a negative connotation. Risk can leave us feeling exposed. It causes us to face the unknown. It leaves us open to the elements. By avoiding risk, we might feel as if we can also avoid things like rejection, guilt, being wrong, conflict and anger, but the truth is that by avoiding risk, we also avoid growth. And to me, there could be nothing worse than leading a life that is stagnant. Without taking risks, there is nothing to be gained. We must take risks because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing at all. To gain nothing. To go nowhere. Without taking risks, how will we ever understand our own capacity for strength?

I am standing on the precipice of a decision that I, along with Mark and our Angel Daughters, have made in lieu of drowning in a sea of regrets. It is a place that not many have stood upon before us, and the view is a bit uncertain from here. But one thing is for sure. The risk is not what will eat me alive. I feel safe in my uncertainty because it would be the inaction, not the action of taking the risk, which would leave me open to the whim of this shark, and that is something which would certainly pull me under.

Take a risk, love. Look into the face of whatever shark is nipping at your toes, and make the decision to swim for your life.


16 comments:

Peggy Payne said...

I so wish you all well in this new adventure, Debbie.

Ness said...

Debbie, you need to email me. I am totally clueless with what is going on and I'm worried about you and Mark and the ADs. In the meantime you are in my prayers.

tj said...

...I second what Ness said up there - you're worryin' us girl... :o/

...Whatever this "shark" may be I just want you to know that I'm keeping you & your family in my prayers.

...Blessings... :o)

Laura ~Peach~ said...

thoughts prayers and hugs :)

Anonymous said...

Deb, I have faith that whatever "shark" is nipping at your families toes you guys will attack it successfully as a family! Good luck and your and your family are in my thoughts and prayers....can't wait to hear about the "shark" you defeat!

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...wishing you much love, peace and growth as you swim to higher ground. xo, mickey

Blue said...

i don't know what's happening...but i do hope that you're not in heavily shark-infested waters. cause if you like swimming, there are probably some fresh-water lakes nearby ;-)

seriously though, when you know what you should do and fix in your mind a determined resolution to do it, the way will be made open to you. i know you'll succeed! ♥you!

JH said...

Sounds like good advice!

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

or smack the shark on the head, tell it to become nice and / or a vegetarian instead and take it for granted that the shark will actually listen to you and obey.

I don't know.

I risk, I swim, I'm swimming for my life here.

My first book is out.

Kathleen Botsford said...

You and your family are in my prayers. It was good to reconnect. I think of you all often. If you need an ear, you know where you can find one.
Much love, K

Renee said...

What a well written interesting post.

I understand swimming with the sharks while at the same time I am stagnant.

Renee xoxo

Sabi Sunshine said...

Hello Deb

Its been quite busy these few months and trying to get everything done on time .. but its quite hard .. still working on it..love the post you describe risk very well.. I think everyone has to a risk in their life.. Catch you later..

Love
Sabi

Sabi Sunshine said...

Hello Deb

Its been quite busy these few months and trying to get everything done on time .. but its quite hard .. still working on it..love the post you describe risk very well.. I think everyone has to a risk in their life.. Catch you later..

Love
Sabi

Kathleen Botsford said...

You have been the lucky winner of the first give away on my blog! I will email you and we can discuss the details! Congratulations!

Debbie said...

We all care about you and are anxious to find out more about this story. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

miruspeg said...

Unfortunately Debbie sometimes we have to go out on a limb and pray it is strong enough to hold us.
Take the risk my friend, the angels will look after you.

I love this line from Bruce Springsteen's song - Reason to Believe.

"How at the end of every hard earned day people find some reason to believe"

Keep shining.....keep smiling.
Sending you tons of love and light.
:)
Peggy

Related Posts with Thumbnails